So, I’m just getting used to morning classes in my routine and was aiming to even try to attend the earlier sessions (6:30 am instead of 7am) one extra day a week. I’ve mentioned in earlier posts the mixed-bag that is early morning class.
- Classes are smaller and more civilized
- Studio is not as packed, more relaxing and room for lockers/showers
- Room is more comfortable, dryer and less stinky from a whole day of sweat
- I get the class over with and have a sense of accomplishment
- Less likely to cancel over work, last minute plans, etc.
- Stiff and less flexible first thing in the am
- Have to guzzle water when I wake up to try and make sure I’m hydrated
- Have to get up early and go to bed early
- Harder to get ready for work from the yoga studio (I tend to look like a wet rat when I come in to my office)
Yesterday I was telling my husband I wanted to try to get up at 5am to take the early yoga class. He told me he’s starting to think these am classes are not ideal. First, I’m in bed by the time he gets home from work, am avoiding dinner plans and social things so I’m not out late and when I do go out, I’m yawning the whole time (what a social butterfly!). He’s also concerned as I have chronic insomnia and general fatigue, so getting up super early may make my already tired system more tired. He’s not entirely crazy here so I started thinking, what should I do? Brace the packed to the gills, stressed night classes where I get home at 9:30pm and haven’t eaten dinner? With a work schedule that is generally 8:30-6:30, I can take 7 or 7:30 pm classes or early ones… I’m nervous to switch up a routine that is semi-working, although decided, as a trial, next week to do one morning class, 1-2 night class and a class on Sat and a class on Sunday. We’ll see how it goes…
What works for you and how do you manage your yoga schedule?